Skip to main content

Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health

by Dick Heller -
Number of replies: 28

Small group to start this discussion. Carrie suggested "improving pregnancy outcome through improved maternal understanding of nutrition during pregnancy. We can do a quick baseline of current/past pregnancy outcomes prior to intervention. Then we can roll out the intervention in multiple locations / countries. We can follow up with a simple pregnancy outcomes study post-intervention. We can use existing community health training and implement a simple program in many countries". My comment was that this was a very ambitious project, but a great idea and something we could definitely get started on.

Let's do some brainstorming about this!

Many thanks, Dick

In reply to Dick Heller

Re: Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health

by Osita Samuel Okonkwo -
Thank you Prof, for adding me.

This is a great topic to start with.
It is obvious that little attention is paid to maternal nutrition during pregnancy on a wider scale.
Most programs in most countries have not considered the implications of maternal nutrition on pregnancy outcomes and this deserve to be evaluated.
I look forward to further discussions and inputs by group members  

Best wishes,

Osita.

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 7:30, Dick Heller (via Peoples-uni)
<noreply@peoples-uni.org> wrote:
Picture of Dick Heller
by Dick Heller - Sunday, 20 December 2020, 5:04 AM

Small group to start this discussion. Carrie suggested "improving pregnancy outcome through improved maternal understanding of nutrition during pregnancy. We can do a quick baseline of current/past pregnancy outcomes prior to intervention. Then we can roll out the intervention in multiple locations / countries. We can follow up with a simple pregnancy outcomes study post-intervention. We can use existing community health training and implement a simple program in many countries". My comment was that this was a very ambitious project, but a great idea and something we could definitely get started on.

Many thanks, Dick

You can reply to this via email.

Reading this in an email? Download the mobile app and receive notifications on your mobile device.

In reply to Osita Samuel Okonkwo

by HAFSAT AHMAD RUFAI -
A great topic to begin with. I support Osita's suggestion for a lit search to identify the gaps. Perhaps we can start with the countries from where we come from. I can do a review from Northern Nigeria where there is high maternal and child mortality to revies the contribution of nutrition. Others can key in from other perspectives

Thanks
In reply to Osita Samuel Okonkwo

by Rita Anaba -

Hello Everyone,

My contribution to this discussion is that we should have a baseline data of the impact of maternal nutrition on the outcome of pregnancy from different countries first. Then the result of the literature review will give us an idea of the amount of evidence on ground to support the development of any intervention.

Secondly, we can also do an intervention study using quasi-experimental method to get the evidence that will inform further interventions.

In reply to Rita Anaba

by KELVIN MEYEYIN-BALA -

Hi Rita,

This is a great idea. A good starting point.

Kelvin

In reply to Rita Anaba

by KELVIN MEYEYIN-BALA -

Hi Rita,

This is a great idea. A good starting point.

Kelvin

In reply to Rita Anaba

Lit review Re: Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health

by Carrie Blake -

so, let’s do a lit review on the impact of maternal nutrition on pregnancy outcomes. I will work on out inclusion criteria etc. next week. Once we’ve pulled existing literature, we can do the review And look for gaps that we can address through an intervention. 

Note: this lit review could also result in a publishable paper. 

Is everyone ok with me beginning the review process? I’m thinking that once I start the search we can all collaborate to complete the review. 

In reply to Carrie Blake

Dear Carrie,

Compliments of the season and happy New Year 2021.

I think your suggestions are in order and I align with it hoping it works for other team members as well.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

Best wishes,

Osita.

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 23:30, Carrie Blake (via Peoples-uni)
Picture of Carrie Blake
Lit review Re: Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health
by Carrie Blake - Wednesday, 30 December 2020, 9:31 PM

so, let’s do a lit review on the impact of maternal nutrition on pregnancy outcomes. I will work on out inclusion criteria etc. next week. Once we’ve pulled existing literature, we can do the review And look for gaps that we can address through an intervention. 

Note: this lit review could also result in a publishable paper. 

Is everyone ok with me beginning the review process? I’m thinking that once I start the search we can all collaborate to complete the review. 

In reply to Carrie Blake

Re: Lit review Re: Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health

by Rita Anaba -
In reply to Carrie Blake

by Carrie Blake -

Can everyone who is in this discussion group respond and tell me in which country you live?

I propose we include these specific countries in our literature review. (Or at least begin with them...may need to expand search depending on what’s available.)

In reply to Carrie Blake

I am from Nigeria.

Thanks

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 at 18:30, Carrie Blake (via Peoples-uni)
Picture of Carrie Blake
by Carrie Blake - Thursday, 31 December 2020, 4:10 PM

Can everyone who is in this discussion group respond and tell me in which country you live?

I propose we include these specific countries in our literature review. (Or at least begin with them...may need to expand search depending on what’s available.)

In reply to Carrie Blake

by Rita Anaba -

I am in Nigeria.

Thanks,

Rita

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 31 December 2020 18:30
To: Rita Anaba
Subject: AIPH: Re: Lit review Re: Discusssion on possible project on maternal and child health

Picture of Carrie Blake

by Carrie Blake - Thursday, 31 December 2020, 4:10 PM

0E0BA2A5E47842E0868B0BAD8803E25B.png

Reading this in an email? Download the mobile app and receive notifications on your mobile device.

In reply to Carrie Blake

by Felix Emeka Anyiam -

Dear Carrie,

I am living in Nigeria.

Warmest Regards.

F. 

In reply to Felix Emeka Anyiam

by Carrie Blake -
Hello Everyone!  I haven’t started the literature review yet.´ because I was called to work in an emergency field hospital in response to COVID. I hope that I can start the review later this week. 

Carrie

On Jan 8, 2021, at 11:00 PM, Felix Emeka Anyiam (via Peoples-uni) <noreply@peoples-uni.org> wrote:

In Cape Town at ICASA 2013
by Felix Emeka Anyiam - Friday, 8 January 2021, 9:43 PM

Dear Carrie,

I am living in Nigeria.

Warmest Regards.

F. 

In reply to Carrie Blake

by Prestor Kubalalika -
Sorry for joining in a bit late but I have followed the discussions and am now ready to move along with the group on this topic under discussion.
Carrie, would you also include Malawi on your lit review please?
In reply to Carrie Blake

by Rita Anaba -
Dear Carie,

How are you today?

Hope you had a good day. We are still waiting for the inclusion criteria

you promised to generate so that we can work together to develop an

intervention.

Thanks,

Rita Anaba

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 23:30 Carrie Blake (via Peoples-uni), <
In reply to Rita Anaba

by Carrie Blake -
I am building the criteria for lit review now. So sorry for the long delay! I was called to work at an emergency COVID field hospital, starting in January, and am just now back at home.

Looking through past responses, it looks like we have people from Niger, Nigeria and Malawi in this group. Are any other countries represented? Or would you like any other countries represented?

Carrie
In reply to Carrie Blake

by Sulaiman Foday Mansaray -

Dear all,

I am Sulaiman Foday Mansaray from Sierra Leone. I am happy to be part of this forum and hope to collaborate with others to ensure we succeed with such an initiative.

Please, Carrie, add Sierra Leone to the list of African countries for our greatest contributions.

Regards,

Sulaiman

In reply to Dick Heller

by Lechisa Amena Birine -
Dear Doctor Dick,
I highly keen to express my thanks for the idea you have generated. The Maternal nutrition has needs great focus and joint interventions especially in developing countries like ethiopia. I am here forwards with you in any means.
Thanks
Lechisa Amena from Ethiopia
In reply to Lechisa Amena Birine

by Husnain Tahir -
happy to know your answers
In reply to Dick Heller

by David Kohen -
Great idea! Improving maternal understanding of nutrition during pregnancy can have a significant impact on pregnancy outcomes, and it's an important area to focus on. Here are some brainstorming ideas to consider:

Collaborate with local health authorities and community groups: To ensure the intervention reaches as many women as possible, it would be beneficial to work with local health authorities and community groups. They can help with distribution of materials, organize workshops, and provide additional support to women.

Develop culturally sensitive educational materials: Nutrition advice can vary depending on cultural background, and it's important to develop materials that are culturally sensitive and appropriate. These materials can include infographics, videos, and brochures, and can be available in different languages.

Use social media to promote the program: Social media can be a powerful tool to reach a wide audience. You can create a Facebook page or Instagram account dedicated to the program, and share educational materials and success stories.

Offer incentives: To encourage women to participate in the program, you could offer incentives such as small gifts, discounts on prenatal vitamins, or entry into a prize draw. This could also help with engagement and retention.

Partner with local businesses: Partnering with local businesses, such as grocery stores or restaurants, can help promote healthy eating during pregnancy. For example, a restaurant could offer healthy pregnancy meal options or a grocery store could display educational materials in their prenatal vitamin section.

Utilize mobile health technology: Mobile health technology, such as text messaging or mobile apps, can provide women with regular reminders and educational materials about healthy eating during pregnancy.

Conduct ongoing monitoring and evaluation: It's important to regularly monitor and evaluate the program to ensure it is having a positive impact on pregnancy outcomes. This could include tracking the number of women who participate in the program, conducting surveys to assess knowledge and attitudes towards nutrition during pregnancy, and measuring changes in pregnancy outcomes post-intervention.

And sorry for the late posting. Not sure if this discussion is on going or not but I hope these brainstorming ideas help! Let me know if you have any other questions or ideas.

Best,
David
In reply to David Kohen

by Husnain Tahir -
I am happy you worked on it
In reply to Dick Heller

by Anu Mohan -
In reply to Dick Heller

by Husnain Tahir -
thats. great to know
In reply to Dick Heller

by Husnain Tahir -

Many thanks, Dick